Re: DEBUGGING TOOL

From: Russ Seligman <rseligma_at_oracle.com>
Date: 1995/10/04

In article <44pcar$rhv_at_alpine.valleynet.com> jared_at_valleynet.com (jared still) writes:
>>Does anyone know of any debugging tools for PL/SQL and Pro*C. If someone
>If you need a debugging tool for PL/SQL, check out Steven Feuerstein's new book
>'Oracle PL/SQL' from O'reilly.
>It should help you with about anything you need in PL/SQL.
>900 pages and lots of code on disk ( including debuggers )

Oddly enough, Feuerstein's "debugging" tips mostly focus on the philosphies of writing bug-free code, and include such suggestions as "get it right the first time", or "use DBMS_OUTPUT". Another of his suggestions is to "build your own" debugging utility. Feuerstein also includes a disk that contains some simple utilities he's written over the years, including one built in SQL*Forms V3.

If you want to:

  • set breakpoints,
  • step through code one line at a time,
  • create triggers on individual lines of code,
  • view and change the value of variables, including records, during execution

then Oracle Procedure Builder is one of only two existing tools that can meet your needs. The other tool is Oracle Developer/2000, which has all of the features of Procedure Builder fully integrated within it.

--Russ

Russ Seligman                 "If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe
Oracle Corporation             there's something wrong with the universe."
rseligma_at_us.oracle.com           --Beverly Crusher, ST:TNG