Re: DEBUGGING TOOL

From: Cary B. O'Brien <cobrien_at_access2.digex.net>
Date: 1995/09/30

In article <RSELIGMA.95Sep26095702_at_seinfeld.oracle.com>, Russ Seligman <rseligma_at_oracle.com> wrote:
>In article <44531k$h07_at_condor.ic.net> shri_at_mail.ic.net (Srikanth Pattabhi) writes:
>>I work for a company which uses both ORACLE 6.0 and 7.0. We use Pro*c and
>>PL/SQL extensively for all our programming along with sql*forms.
>>Does anyone know of any debugging tools for PL/SQL and Pro*C. If someone
>>does know about this, please send me mail and let me know what options I
>>have or where I can find all this information.
>
>For PL/SQL development, you should look into Oracle Procedure Builder, now
>available on Microsoft Windows and Motif.
>
>Procedure Builder provides a GUI, interactive environment for creating and
>debugging both client-side and server-side program units (including database
>triggers). Develop and debug your code in the Procedure Builder client, then
>deposit it in the server with a simple drag and drop action.
>
>Among its features:
> - integrated text editor
> - interactive compilation errors -- click on an error, and it jumps to that
> line. No more 'SHOW ERRORS'!!

I can do all this already (sort of).

Ok. now it gets interesting....
> - set breakpoints
> - step through code one line at a time
> - view (and change) local variables during program unit execution

How does this work? Does it have a local PL/SQL interpreter with debug hooks, or can it work across SQL/NET and set breakpoints in the PL/SQL engine on the server. If the latter, there must be some undocumented features that we don't know about. Please explain. Inquiring minds would REALLY like to know.

We would like to do more with PL/SQL, but the debugging is a concern. And some damn^H^H^H^H windows thing is not an acceptable solution.

>For more information, contact your Oracle sales rep, or check out
>http://www.oracle.com/info/products/tools/procbuilder/intro.html
>
>--Russ

>Russ Seligman "If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe
>Oracle Corporation there's something wrong with the universe."
>rseligma_at_us.oracle.com --Beverly Crusher, ST:TNG

Just trying to bring you a Microsoft free work environment...

Cary O'Brien
cobrien_at_access.digex.net Received on Sat Sep 30 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message