Re: Who should own Oracle tables?

From: Gary Gapinski <gapinski_at_lerc.nasa.gov>
Date: 1995/09/29

In article <44hdo8$9q0_at_isis.fiu.edu>, Eddie Hernandez <ejuan01_at_solix.fiu.edu> wrote:
>I am the DBA of a Oracle Workgroup Server for Win NT Database.
>
>I have a developer that has created tables for an application. At this point
>only he can assign priviledges which I know is incorrect. So my question is
>who should own this table?? Should I create a DBA account and have it own
>the tables? Or should I use my own personal account that has DBA priviledges?

Create a separate user to own the object(s), which need not nor should not be a DBA account. Grant this user the privileges and quotas necessary to create/maintain its objects. Then create one or more roles to which privileges on this user's objects will be granted. Then grant those role to other users. The owning user id is not meant to be used by a "real user".

>Another question: How can I transfer ownership of the table to another acct?

exp system/password full=n grants=n owner=developer

                                    ^--- from memory - may be something else
then

imp system/password full=n fromuser=developer touser=newuser

which can be used to transfer the tables from the developer to the newlycreated  user.

Regards,

Gary

| Gary Gapinski              | email: gapinski_at_lerc.nasa.gov |
| NASA Lewis Research Center | voice: +1 216 433 5251        |