Re: Who should own Oracle tables?

From: <mreagan_at_fast.net>
Date: 1995/09/30

In article <44hdo8$9q0_at_isis.fiu.edu>, ejuan01_at_solix.fiu.edu (Eddie Hernandez) wrote:

> I am the DBA of a Oracle Workgroup Server for Win NT Database.
>
> I have a developer that has created tables for an application. At this point
> only he can assign priviledges which I know is incorrect. So my question is
> who should own this table?? Should I create a DBA account and have it own
> the tables? Or should I use my own personal account that has DBA priviledges?

I usually have an account created that holds the tables for an application area (e.g., PERSONNEL_MGR, REGULATORY_MGR). That way, ownership of the tables is transferred from the developer(s) to a central repository for that application area. Privileges can be granted to the users from that *_MGR account. Sometimes, it is desirable to remove access from a developer once a system goes live. It reduces the risk of "oops".

> Another question: How can I transfer ownership of the table to another acct?

You can't directly transfer ownership of a table. It must be exported and imported as a different owner, or the contents can be transferred to a new table owned by the right account using:

insert into owner2.table2 select * from owner1.table1;

> I am real new to this and any help would be appreciated.

Good luck.

Matt... Received on Sat Sep 30 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message