Re: ARCHIVELOG mode - HP-UX 10 & Oracle 7.1.4.1.10

From: GAG <gag_at_objectworks.com>
Date: 1995/09/27

In article <44afnd$14h_at_ixnews4.ix.netcom.com>, cyberldy_at_ix.netcom.com (Tracey Harris ) says:

>We are running an Oracle database in ARCHIVELOG mode. We have three
>redo logs that are 20 MB each. When the redo logs become full they are
>copied to disk. We have allocated 500MB of disk space for the archive
>files.
>
>A week ago, the archive directory became 100% full in less than 6 hours
>(The users have proclaimed thier innocence). This happened three
>times, so we were forced to disbale archive logging. We would like to
>run the database in archivelog mode, but we need to find the source of
>the problem.
>
>Is there a way to determine what causes the archive directory to fill
>so rapidly.
>
>Thanks,
>Tracey

A common cause of excessive archive log generation is that tablespaces are in backup mode while users are changing data ...

When a tablespace is in backup mode ( ie alter tablespace foo begin backup ) Oracle goes to a full block logging scheme. That is, any change to even the smallest amount of data will cause a full Oracle block ( typically 2K, 4K or 8K ) to be logged. When a tablespace is not in backup mode then only a small amount of log is generated for the same data change ... so make sure that your tablespaces are not in backup mode during prime time ...

Of course you need to investigate the possibility that you have an end user or program generating excessive updates/inserts/deletes ... another common problem that a developer may not even be aware of ...

Regards
GAG

Gerry A. Gilchrist ( GAG )			ObjectWorks Inc.
						800, 100-4th Avenue S.W.
						Calgary, Alberta
						Canada T2P 3N2
Tel: (403)237-7333