Re: ARCHIVELOG mode - HP-UX 10 & Oracle 7.1.4.1.10

From: Yuk Hon Johnny Chan <jychan_at_corp.hp.com>
Date: 1995/09/29

Tracey Harris (cyberldy_at_ix.netcom.com) wrote:
: We are running an Oracle database in ARCHIVELOG mode. We have three

: redo logs that are 20 MB each. When the redo logs become full they are
: copied to disk. We have allocated 500MB of disk space for the archive
: files.

: A week ago, the archive directory became 100% full in less than 6 hours
: (The users have proclaimed thier innocence). This happened three
: times, so we were forced to disbale archive logging. We would like to
: run the database in archivelog mode, but we need to find the source of
: the problem.

: Is there a way to determine what causes the archive directory to fill
: so rapidly.

the rate of archive log generation is largely dependent on the transaction level of the database. at 500M per 6H, that's about 1.4M/min which does strike me as being a little unusual unless there's something out there doing lots of ddl changes.

one thing to check on the DB side is to make sure your DB is not accidently in hot backup mode. This will make the rate of archive log generation much higher.

there are tools to read archive logs to tell you what's actually recorded, but that's probably not really necessary. I would try putting sql_trace = true for the database and see what kinds of SQL are running.

btw, i don't believe Oracle 7.1.4 is certified to run on HP-UX 10...might want to think about upgrading.

jc Received on Fri Sep 29 1995 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message