Access Oracle Transparent Gateway via NetWare for SAA

From: Jingshong Xie <jsxie_at_Glue.umd.edu>
Date: 1995/09/27

Hi, gurus out there:

I have been working on a project to use Oracle Transparent Gateway for DB2/400 (let's call it OTG for now) to access data on AS/400 from Oracle7 on NetWare. The components on my site are:

C1. Oracle7 v7.1 on NetWare v3.11,
C2. NetWare for SAA v1.3 on another runtime NetWare 3.11 server,
C3. AS/400 running OS/400 V2R3.

I have SQL*Net v2.1 running cross the network and I am using APPC to access the OTG. (TCP/IP obvious is a better choice if no other constrains.)

The way I did was, 1. put Oracle LU6.2 Protocol Adapter on C1; 2. create an APPC profile on C2 and Side Information Record and run both, 3. of course, install the OTG and start the Oracle Subsystem on C3.

After long time bouncing back and forth with Oracle Technical Support, we isolated the problem to the loading of Oracle LU6.2 Protocol Adapter which is NTL.NLM. Every time we load it on the C1, it kicks out some error messages which Oracle Technical Support believes are that NTL.NLM needs the preloading of NetWare for SAA on the same server (C1). Basically, if this is the only reason why we can't make the OTG work, (I still have some doubt in my mind.) we don't need the C2 in the picture but need to have NetWare for SAA running on top of C1. To achieve this, we need some major enhancement of the connectivity between C1 and C3. And I can't really propose it to my boss without convincing myself at first that it is doable.

So, the question I ask you gurus out there is, have you been facing the similar situation, namely the combination of OTG, Oracle7, APPC and NetWare for SAA? If you have, do you mind to share your knowledge of it?

Any help is certainly very welcome.

--
Jingshong Xie
Motto:	Smile when life treats me good;  laugh when life treats me bad.