Re: PL/SQL or me -- which one is more stupid?

From: Christopher Jones <cjones_at_au.oracle.com>
Date: 1995/09/24

In article <43v9k1$rue_at_charnel.ecst.csuchico.edu>

        kelfink_at_ecst.csuchico.edu ('`'\\"/''%Kelfink@~~\@) writes:

> I got the same results, running your script.
> Oracle is left-trimming!
>
> Here's a simplified example:
>
> declare
> test varchar2(40);
> begin
> dbms_output.put_line(' Right justified.');
> end
> /
> Generates output:
>
> Right Justified
>
> Looks like put_line is trimming your output on the left.

Put_line is OK. SQL*Plus itself does a form of word wrapping when it displays server output. The left trimming is similar to the age-old trimming behavior of the COLUMN x WORD_WRAPPED command.

SQL*Plus 3.3 allows you to specify TRUNCATED, WRAPPED or WORD_WRAPPED (the default) in the SET SERVEROUTPUT command.

Chris

--
Christopher Jones, cjones_at_au.oracle.com