Re: PL/SQL or me -- which one is more stupid?

From: '`'\\ </''%Kelfink_at_~~\_at_)>
Date: 1995/09/22

In article <43uoi2$f7l_at_govonca3.gov.on.ca>, Steve Frampton, Computer Operator/Systems Clerk <frampton_at_admin.flarc.edu.on.ca> wrote:
>Hello:
>
>I am writing a calendar-generating application in PL/SQL. I would really
>like to know why the following code generates two very different results:

  • code deleted --

>And, here is the output:
>
>--- begin ---
>| | | | | | |
>***|***|***|***|***|***|***|
>--- end ---
>
>This all seems pretty silly, to me. Any ideas?

I got the same results, running your script. Oracle is left-trimming!

Here's a simplified example:

 declare
 test varchar2(40);
 begin
 dbms_output.put_line(' Right justified.');  end
 /
Generates output:

Right Justified

Looks like put_line is trimming your output on the left. I'm not practiced in these routines, but maybe there's an alternate function, or some other parameter/option to prevent this.

Hope that helps, or at least lets you know you're not crazy.

Kevin Fries
Developer/DBA
e-mail kelfink_at_ecst.csuchico.edu

--