Re: SQL*Net v2 and SQLNET.ORA parameter

From: Christian Guenther <dbbetr_at_ztivax.zfe.siemens.de>
Date: 1995/09/20

ivo.drvaric_at_ext.uni-mb.si wrote:

>Hello!

>I was told that there exists some parameter in SQLNET.ORA file on database
>server
>which controls when PMON receives a signal to clean client's resources
>from the rdbms kernel.

>Has anybody any idea which parameter is that ( something that likes
>EXPIRATION time... )?

Hello Ivo,
the parameter is named SQLNET.EXPIRE_TIME. The value 0 (default) says no dead connection detection. A value >0 (in minutes) means that SQL*Net should detect dead clients. for that reason Sql*Net -Server sends a package to the client an d wait for the response. No response means dead client. The interval from one package to the next is set through this parameter. so be careful, don't take very small value. This could charge the Net vera much.

Christian

Christian Günther                   dbbetr_at_ztivax.zfe.siemens.de
Siemens AG RK M/Pdb32
Tel. 089/63643965 Received on Wed Sep 20 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message