Re: Using redo logs for a hot standby

From: <bward01_at_ibm.net>
Date: 1995/09/19

In <434ka2$f81_at_auntie.bbcnc.org.uk>, j.corbett_at_bbcnc.org.uk (JC) writes:
>Hi,
>
>I wonder if anyone could offer any advice on the following scenario.
>
>We have a t.p. system that uses an Oracle 7 database running under Open VMS
>on a DEC Alpha. This system MUST be available as near to 100% of the
>time as possible during working hours. The system is running in archivelog mode
>and volume shadowing is enabled at the OS level.
>
>However, the organisation wishes to protect a disaster situation ,eg a 747 landing on
>our computer room. A colleague has suggested a possible 'hot standby' situation:
> - having a second identical system at another site (which is already coonected via a WAN link)
>to which we copy the redo logs and apply them every 15 minutes. This sounds logical except the application of the logs on the second system
>every 15 minutes. Shoule we also copy over (backup) the control file from
>the primary system - would this cause the secondary system to realize that recovery is necessary?
>Has anyone come across such a solution before? (Snapshots are not appropriate for our setup)
>
>Please reply via email to j.corbett_at_bbcnc.org.uk
>
>Many thanks
>
>JC.

I am successfully doing this on both Oracle 6 and shortly on Oracle 7 in an OS/2 environment.

The primary server copies its log files to a network drive.

I wrote a shell program that drives SQL*DBA. The shell program polls the network drive for log files. When it finds one it automatically applies it. Received on Tue Sep 19 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message