Using redo logs for a hot standby

From: JC <j.corbett_at_bbcnc.org.uk>
Date: 1995/09/12

Hi,

I wonder if anyone could offer any advice on the following scenario.

We have a t.p. system that uses an Oracle 7 database running under Open VMS on a DEC Alpha. This system MUST be available as near to 100% of the time as possible during working hours. The system is running in archivelog mode and volume shadowing is enabled at the OS level.

However, the organisation wishes to protect a disaster situation ,eg a 747 landing on our computer room. A colleague has suggested a possible 'hot standby' situation:

  • having a second identical system at another site (which is already coonected via a WAN link) to which we copy the redo logs and apply them every 15 minutes. This sounds logical except the application of the logs on the second system every 15 minutes. Shoule we also copy over (backup) the control file from the primary system - would this cause the secondary system to realize that recovery is necessary? Has anyone come across such a solution before? (Snapshots are not appropriate for our setup)

Please reply via email to j.corbett_at_bbcnc.org.uk

Many thanks

JC. Received on Tue Sep 12 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message