Re: Oracle datafiles across an NFS

From: Jim Gregory <jim.gregory_at_DaytonOH.attgis.com>
Date: 1995/09/07

I don't believe ORACLE supports files mounted across NFS. This is stated, I believe, in the install manuals. From my install manual:

"Do not mount your ORACLE database files remotely over a network file server (NFS). NFS does not support synchronous write capabilities, and thus does not provide faciliteis to guarantee data integrity over a file network. i.e., when you perform an update across a network you have no confirmation that the the remote update actually occurred. In addition, such a setup is extremely overhead-intensive."

Suggest you find this passage in your installation manual.

Good luck. Jim Gregory

>>==========Mike Cuppett, 9/7/95==========
>>
>>Is anyone running Oracle in a manner in which a datafile resides on a
>>separate computer via a NFS? During a data conversion recently, more
>>space was required than was available on the machine running Oracle. The
>>Unix SA mounted an NFS to a different machine, but I was unable to create
>>a datafile in the NFS. I attended an Oracle class several weeks back and
>>posed this question to the instructor, but she had never seen an Oracle
>>implementation involving an NFS. Is there some task involved in setting
>>up the NFS or in the creation of a datafile that is not normally involved
>>in these processes? Since this problem occurred, we have added more disk
>>space, but this could be a problem in the future and I wish to be
>>prepared. Thanks!
>>--
>>Michael S. Cuppett
>>cuppettm_at_richmond.infi.net
>>Oracle Database Manager
>>Department of Information Technology
>>City of Richmond, Virginia

Views and opinions expressed are mine and do not reflect my empoyer's or client's. Received on Thu Sep 07 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message