Re: Oracle datafiles across an NFS

From: jared still <jared_at_valleynet.com>
Date: 1995/09/16

cuppettm_at_richmond.infi.net (Mike Cuppett) wrote:

>Is anyone running Oracle in a manner in which a datafile resides on a
>separate computer via a NFS? During a data conversion recently, more
>space was required than was available on the machine running Oracle. The
>Unix SA mounted an NFS to a different machine, but I was unable to create
>a datafile in the NFS. I attended an Oracle class several weeks back and
>posed this question to the instructor, but she had never seen an Oracle
>implementation involving an NFS. Is there some task involved in setting
>up the NFS or in the creation of a datafile that is not normally involved
>in these processes? Since this problem occurred, we have added more disk
>space, but this could be a problem in the future and I wish to be
>prepared. Thanks!
>--

I'm running 2 databases on NFS drives currently. You just need to be sure that you have permission to create the data files on the Host computer.

Login as the Oracle account on the computer that the instance is to run on. If possible, make sure that there is an 'Oracle' login on the host computer with the same UID and GID as that on the local machine.

Do not try to create the datafiles as the root account ! This won't work on NFS since root has very few privileges on NFS mounts.

If you have more questions, email me directly.

Jared

jared_at_valleynet.com

jared still                  ---- ___o
jared_at_valleynet.com       ----  _`\ <,_