Re: What is an Oracle "User"

From: Linwood Ferguson <Ferguson_at_uvii.mag.aramark.com>
Date: 1995/09/07

Thanks for the below. Let me be a bit more precise about the configuration to see if it makes more sense.

We will have large system (probably VMS cluster) in Oklahoma City which will contain the main corporate database info everyone shares (frequently updated including a lot of not-replicated data).

We will have 18 sites around the country connected by various speed WAN circuits each with an average of about 20-25 users each on a PC client. At each of these 18 sites, we will have a separate small server with an Oracle database and replications of the more stable, frequently accessed data from the system in Oklahoma City. But not nearly all of it, and in general not the info being updated, just reference data to improve performance. May database will be somewhere in the 50-100GB range and local servers a couple hundred megabytes each.

This means that each user will attach to these local, small databases and also to the remote, central database. Two separate attaches to two separate Oracle databases on two separate servers. While there is a 5-6 hour time zone spread, there are some hours when all users may be on-line at once. Also, we have no intention of going to the trouble to feed all these users through one funnel for licensing reasons even if we could (too many applications, too hard to do generally and maintainably). So basically we have 400 users x two attaches at least some of the time.

Sooo.... Oracle says we can treat each of these as 1 user, and their pricing is based almost entirely on user count. They say these 400 people are 400 users and that's that, not 800 because they attach to two databases. And that the additional 18 servers are no serious additional cost ("a few hundred dollars each"). In other words they say they don't really care whether these 400 users use 1 database, or 20, the cost is basically the same.

Now if this were Sybase, I would have to have an unlimited license on this central server, and (average) 20 user licenses on each local server, even though as users each human being would be counted twice. Sybase would also stick us for a 'per server" fee in addition to user count; a double whammy. So many other companies feel the same way I am overjoyed if Oracle does not, but skeptical.

Is there, perhaps, an Oracle standard terms and conditions document, or definitions document available on the net that might give the party line, and see how it compares to our sales person's explanations?

--
Linwood Ferguson                 e-mail: ferguson_at_uvii.mag.aramark.com
Mgr. Software Engineering        Voice:  (US) 540/967-0087

In article <42ldt4$g6v_at_tabloid.amoco.com>, bgmccracken_at_amoco.com says...