Re: What is an Oracle "User"

From: Bill G. McCracken <bgmccracken_at_amoco.com>
Date: 1995/09/07

Ferguson_at_uvii.mag.aramark.com (Linwood Ferguson) wrote:

>Having been burned by several other vendors, I would like confirmation from
>some actual users.

>We are considering Oracle in an environment where we will have one "main"
>database, and a bunch of local databases with frequently used data. Each of
>about 400 users will attach to both a local Oracle database and over a WAN to
>the central database.

>Oracle sales is telling us that counts as 400 users, and a 400 user license is
>all we need (plus some nominal, like few hundred dollar each, cost for a
>server on each processor).

>That is so enlightened of a definition of a "user" that the cynic in me thinks
>the salesman is mistaken, and when we get to doing it we will find we have 800
>users by their counts.

>Anyone know for sure how this works? Either legally, or from any enforcement
>techniques they use (about which I know nothing as yet).

>Thanks in advance. Thanks double for an e-mail copy of any response in case I
>miss it in the rather high volume here.

>--
>Linwood Ferguson e-mail: ferguson_at_uvii.mag.aramark.com
>Mgr. Software Engineering Voice: (US) 540/967-0087
>ARAMARK Mag & Book Services

I think you could very well argue the point of what is a "user", does it mean a "seat" liscense or concurrent users?

You will have to purchase a seat copy for every user wanted to connect via TCP (or IPX) for their Sql*Net. Then the database itself when we bought it was concurrent users...

so in theory, if your 200+ users are only online x percentage, that may equate to x users at any given time, or you could piss off Oracle and buy 1 seat user seat, and write a front-end to the database to shove all the transactions through it!!

Didn't understand your definition of "local". Does that mean Local in site or local as in desktop? Either case, with this description, aren't you going to have to buy a bunch of "local" databases too? If your LAN speed is good, stick with the big bang server, and buy one headache rather than a bunch of little ones all over the country (or city). Your costs will stay down over the long haul...

Equation of efficiency:
(VERY HEAVY PAIN KILLERS x ((# of users x # Oracle databases) x (# of minutes
on hold with Oracle x # of poor-English speaking Oracle support techs) x # of CSI numbers to remember) x number of times to get a decent install script from Oracle x number of long-distance charges x being left on hold)

But your Squeeeeeeeeelnet (sql*net) will need to be by user, since they might want to use a report write (like InfoMaker) or some other reporting s/w. Good luck... Received on Thu Sep 07 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message