Re: SQL*Net Security Question

From: Jonathan Lewis <Jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1995/09/06

In article <42gi3h$rkj_at_ixnews2.ix.netcom.com>

           kmelcher_at_ix.netcom.com "Kenneth Melcher" writes:

: Does anyone have any suggestions on a way to restrict SQL*Net access
: to specific client machines or specific users?
:
: For instance, I would like for our DBA's to be able to access
: our servers via SQL*Net. They will always be connecting from their
: individual workstations using consistent userids. However, I
: do not want any other machines or users on the net to have access
: to the servers via SQL*Net.

It depends on the machine you are using for the server. On Vax VMS, part of the SQL*Net implementation (config.ora) has allowed you to specify legal client IP addresses (or names), and a client-user to server-user translation.

This sort of facility is now coming in to Unix systems: I think in v2.1, you can specify a list of IP addresses (or names) that are allowed to connect. The best place for the documentation is in the README files under $ORACLE_HOME/network/docs

Sorry, I don't have complete details to close at hand.

--
Jonathan Lewis