Re: HELP WITH IMPORT/EXPORT

From: Jim Gregory <jim.gregory_at_DaytonOH.attgis.com>
Date: 1995/09/06

David, You can always list individual table names in an export/import parameter file but that's the hard way. Unless you have DBA or EXPORT_FULL...  you will not be able to export anything outside of your own schema.

Which brings up another point. I'm assuming that when you refer to tablespaces, that there will be seperate schemas that own the objects in each tablespace. If the DBA creates the tables in each schema, logged in as that schema, all you need to have is access to that schema which will be able to export all of the tables that that schema owns.

i.e. if the ts #1 is for schema dev and ts #2 is for schema test, the DBA should log into each schema and create the tables. You should have access to the test schema and can do any exports/imports you need without DBA or EXPORT_FULL... roles/privs.

The DBA will not be able to create 2 sets of identically named tables in the same schema and in different tablespaces. Object names have to be unique within a schema.

If you have further questions, feel free to E-Mail me or ask in the forum.

Hope this Helps, Jim Gregory

>>==========David Roze, 9/4/95==========
>>
>>Hello everyone,
>>
>>I'm relatively new to Oracle and would like a bit of assistance
>>with IMPORT/EXPORT.
>>
>>We have a situation here where we have two tablespaces defined
>>in a database - one being for development and the second for
>>testing. I have been assigned to the latter. Both tablespaces
>>will contain identical table definitions, integrity
>>constraints, etc. and both sets of tables are likely to be
>>created by our DBA.
>>
>>As I understand it, in order to export Sequence information you
>>need to perform an export in User mode. That means I need the
>>EXP_FULL_DATABASE privilege to export objects created by the
>>DBA. The thing is I only need to export the objects from the
>>test tablespace. My suspicion is that if I do an export in user
>>mode specifying the DBA's schema this will result in objects
>>from both tablespaces being exported. Is this correct? If so
>>does anyone know of a way I can export the objects contained in
>>my own tablespace only?
>>
>>The most obvious way around it is if I create the tables myself
>>but i am unsure as to whether or not this is acceptable for our
>>purposes.
>>
>>The reason I need to know all this is because I have been
>>assigned the task of tester for this SQLWindows app we are
>>developing against Oracle. I envisage using export/import as
>>the means of bringing the test database back to its original
>>state after performing tests.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>David Roze

Views and opinions expressed are mine and do not reflect my empoyer's or client's. Received on Wed Sep 06 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message