Re: Fragmentation of ORACLE DBMS

From: Craig Harper <caharper_at_hooked.net>
Date: 1995/09/06

Joakim Westman <edtwest_at_kiay3.ericsson.se> wrote:
>Hi!
>Being new subscriber to this newsgroup I haven't yet found an answer to
>this question.
>
>When creating/dropping tablespaces in ORACLE RDBMS v.7.x (HP-UX) one will
>after a while reach a state where the index SYS.I_OBJ2 in tablespace
>system cannot be extended. It has been said to me that old (dropped)
>tablespaces (e.g. it's fysical diskspace) cannot be reused, hence
>fragmentation occurs. The database I am concerned with is used for
>development and the managament of tablespaces (CREATION/DROP) is a
>frequent activity.
>
>In order to not be forced to extend fysical diskspace in the long run,
>what is the easiest way to work around this without too much disruption
>of the DBMS?
>
>Regards, Joakim Westman <edt.edtwest_at_memo.ericsson.se>

Joakim,

I thought that you could reuse the same tablespace and data file, thus if the data that the new table stores is similar in size and structure you will reduce fragmetation. The error is because you are running out of extents and when you created the tablespace/table you apparently restricted the maxextents clause. If you don't want to create more extents then after you drop them try useing the "reuse" clause with the create tablespace/table ect. this should work. Received on Wed Sep 06 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message