Re: Replacing Host command under Forms 4.5

From: MICHAEL HEJTMANEK <MHEJTMANEK_at_clients.switch.ch>
Date: 1995/08/28

In <1995Aug27.104107_at_omega.ntu.ac.sg> bc7114915_at_omega.ntu.ac.sg writes:

> Hello, I would appreciate if somebody would clarify my doubts.
> I was assigned a project written in Forms 3.0. The program uses Host
> command to call the .exe file in the VAX environment. I am using Forms
> 4.5 at the moment. I know that I can use User Exit in Forms 4.5. But
> is it a must to write DLL? Is there any other method I can use in order to
> make minimum changes to the original program. Thanks
>
> Regards,
> TTL
There are lots of unsupported ways of calling host .exe's from the client. For example we have server side reports that we kick off from 45 clients, but this is not really ideal. What you have to do is ask yourself why the .exe is on the VAX, if it should be on the server then leave it there and I can tell you how to call the host exe. If it shouldn't be on the server, then rewrite it on the client in PL/SQL (or if need be) in C. And then when it is residing on the client you can use the WINAPI package provided with DEV2k to call it.

Good Luck.

Michael Hejtmanek // Switzerland // Earth // mhejtmanek_at_clients.switch.ch Received on Mon Aug 28 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message