Re: Rollback segment needs recovery

From: David S. Kaufman <dkaufman_at_popmail.mcs.com>
Date: 1995/08/26

>When I try to start up the database I have to do "media recovery" on the
>SYSTEM tablespace file. The rocover procedure looks like it works fine,
>but when the database starts up one of the rollback segments is in a
>"need recovery" status.

Is this a private rollback segment? If so do not list it in the rollback_segments line of the init.ora.

>I can not log in from anything other than SQLDBA (sqlplus gives error
>1578 in rollback segment r01).
>I can not drop the rollback segment since it's not offline.
>I can not drop the tablespace since it contains rollback segments.
>I can not do recover on the tablespace, the system says it ok.
>I can not bring the rollback segment online, since it needs recovery.
>I can not use the system without fixing or droping this rollback segment.

If the database can be opened given the changes noted above, you could probably take the segment offline and drop it.

Let me know if you need additional help.

David Received on Sat Aug 26 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message