Re: Success in buying just the OCI from Oracle?

From: Tim Smith <tssmith_at_netcom.com>
Date: 1995/08/26

burzin_at_twinsun.com (Burzin Engineer) writes:
>Here is the problem:
>Oracle does not sell the OCI individually. I went through all the normal
>channels, they haven't said no yet but the rep says it's not in his
>system for things he can sell!!
>I find this hard to beleive. This situation is pretty common for people
>who have 4GL that needs to talk to Oracle.
>Has anybody been in this situation and/or knows how to get around this
>particular Oracle brain damage. What package should I buy in order to
>get OCI? The rep. says buy the Oracle server for solaris 2.x and it
>comes with OCI.

The OCI is not a separate product. It comes, in the form of a library, with the Oracle server on most all platforms. All you need is a C compiler, the OCI manual, and the knowledge of which library to link in. liboci.a for Solaris will obviously be of no use for your NT platform. Just find out what the right link options are, and where to get the header files that you might need (for the demo programs, for example). (The OCI stuff might be in one of the .DLLs on Windows/Windows NT platforms.)

If you are still stuck in a few days, email me. One of my projects next week is to get a few OCI apps up under NT (I'm waiting for my NT shipment). Received on Sat Aug 26 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message