Re: Filtering Records in SQL Forms 3.0

From: Dave Boswell <bd860_at_FreeNet.Carleton.CA>
Date: 1995/08/20

Patrick McCarthy (pmccarth_at_rpc.unb.ca) writes:
> I have created forms in SQL Forms 3.0 to list values from tables I have
> created on Oracle 7. What I need to filter out records when the form comes
> up. For example, I would like to list, in the form, only employees from a
> certain department.
>
> What is the command for doing this within the Form.inp file and where do I put
> it ?????
>

> Thanks in advance
> Patrick McCarthy
> email -> pmccarth_at_rpc.unb.ca

Another option would be to use the post-query trigger. When you fail this trigger the record being processed is thrown out of the return set. This method has been used when initial responce time to a query is important, we are able to do a query on a weaker seach criteria and then then use the trigger to filter out only what was wanted. In on app this took the initial wait time for a users query from 40 seconds to about one, with no noticable delay between record movement. Depending on the flexibility you want this might be useful.

As for editing the .inp file ... don't do it! Now its been said I have to admit I don't know a single Forms 3.0 programmer who doesn't ignore the rule when it's easier, try to make efficient use of your time by changing a global variable name using forms designer.

Just another approach, Dave Boswell Received on Sun Aug 20 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message