Re: Using Shutdown Immediate

From: Nalini Vallampati <no email>
Date: 1995/08/14

>In article <40gvg0$h36_at_inet-nntp-gw-1.us.oracle.com> Thomas J Kyte writes:
>snowden_at_haven.ios.com (Roger Snowden) wrote:
>
>>: Stefan Estus (estus_at_bard.edu) wrote:
>>: > I'm writing a cold backup script for our databases and I'm seeking
>>: > some advice on shutdown immediate. I would like to ensure that all
 connections
>>: > to the database are closed; thus I have writen a shell script to kill all
>>: > user processes. It has been my experience that they don't always die! My
>>: > questions is: is it ok to do a shutdown immediate, startup, shutdown
 normal,
>>: > and then start my backup? What are the pros and cons?

>>If you do a shutdown immediate, you don't have to startup and shutdown
>>normal afterward. Shutdown immediate is a clean shutdown, it just kicks
>>off the users and rolls back their work before shutting down. If you
>>have bogus sessions out there, that don't really represent pending
>>transactions, shutdown immediate is cool enough.

>>Roger
>
>From the DBA guide, chapter 18:
>
><quote>
>Preparing to Take a Full Backup
>
>To guarantee that a database's data files are consistent, always shut down the
>database in normal priority before making a full database backup; never perform
>a full database backup after an instance failure or after the database is shut
>down with immediate or abort priority (that is, using a SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE or
>SHUTDOWN ABORT statement). In both these cases, the data files are likely not
>be consistent with respect to a specific point-in-time.
></quote>
>
>Please, after a shutdown immediate, do a startup followed by a clean shutdown
>(with no options). It is definitely not guaranteed to work any other way.
>
>Thomas Kyte
>tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
>Oracle Government

But if the 'shutdown immediate' rolls back the users' transactions before kicking
them out, how would a startup and clean shutdown after shutdown immediate help from the point of view of point-in-time recovery ? Wouldn't the datafiles after the clean shutdown be in the same state they were after the immediate
shutdown ? (i.e., with their consistency affected ?)

Nalini Vallampati
UNIX Admin/Oracle DBA
AT&T Credit
Miamisburg, Ohio 45342

Nalini Vallampati Received on Mon Aug 14 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message