Re: Multiple Instances

From: Jim Gregory <jim.gregory_at_DaytonOH.attgis.com>
Date: 1995/08/07

Louis,

Only 1 instance can use a single SGA ( your sgadefSID.dbf ). You can run multiple instances, each with it's own SGA, on a single machine ( see the directions in the reply below).

From ORACLE's standpoint, everything within an instance is a database.

However, if you mean you want to have multiple application databases under 1 instance, you can do that to. Simply put all of the objects for each seperated application under a different schema.

The only time you would need to install ORACLE more than once would be to run different versions of ORACLE on the same machine. We're doing that where I work at ATT GIS and have V7.0.16, V7.1.3, and V7.1.4 all running with multiple instances under each version and several of the instances have up to 3 seperate aplication databases under different schemas.

Hope this isn't too muddy.

Jim Gregory

>>==========Louis POTY, 8/4/95==========
>>
>>Hi Oraclers!
>>
>>Does anyone know how it is possible to start more than one instance on
>>a machine. Each instance has a database. If I want to start more instances
>>all tried to use the same sgadefSID.dbf (Do I have to install Oracle
>>multiple
>>times?).
>>
>>Or is it possible to maintain several databases with one instance?
>>

>>>Does anyone know how it is possible to start more than one instance on
>>>a machine. Each instance has a database. If I want to start more
 instances
>>>all tried to use the same sgadefSID.dbf (Do I have to install Oracle
 multiple
>>>times?).
>>>
>>>Or is it possible to maintain several databases with one instance?
>>>
>>>We are using Oracle 7.0.16.6 on HP9000/735 with HP-UX 9.05.
>>>

>>Sure, it is possible.
>>Our development staff works on a single machine with at least three
>>instances running.
>>What you have to do is to correctly set ORACLE_HOME and ORACLE_SID before
>>creating your
>>new database. Each instance has its own SID, init<SID>.ora file, and all
>>works fine.

Views and opinions expressed are mine and do not reflect my empoyer's or client's. Received on Mon Aug 07 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message