Re: Tablespace limitations

From: Peter van der Kooi <kooi_at_telecom.ptt.nl>
Date: 1995/08/04

r26906_at_email.sps.mot.com (Geoff Baker) wrote:
>In article <3t1b3e$gr3_at_explorer.csc.com>, mtackett_at_dayton.csc.com (Michael
>Tackett) wrote:
>
>> I am running ORACLE7 on a HP-UX machine. I am relatively new to ORACLE DBA
>> administration. I am getting an error ORA-01118: cannot add any more database
>> files: limit of 30 exceeded. Does anyone know what might be causing this
>> problem?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Mike Tackettt
>
>Check your db_files parameter on your init<SID>.ora file

This problem has little to do with the db_files parameter. Ok it gives you the value for the maximum number of datafile you can add, but it doesn't solve the problem.

I had this problem once creating a 80 GB database with an out of the box init.ora file. It didn't get past the 40Gb with adding datafiles. I ended up recreating the database file with an extra parameter in the

        create database

statement:

	create database Something
	maxdatafiles 100

Maybe you can also look at page 6-4 'Creating a New Control File' in the Administrator's Guide for Oracle7, this outlines in re-creating control files allowing you to change some permanent database parameters

Peter van der Kooi
Master DBA Received on Fri Aug 04 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message