Re: ORACLE FINANCIALS ?

From: Simon Paul at Maverick <simonp_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 1995/08/04

It was noted that limkhwee_at_singnet.com.sg (Lim Kien Hwee) wrote:

>In article <3va5jl$rjt_at_nlsu110.nl.oracle.com> Andrew Sparks <asparks> writes:
>>From: Andrew Sparks <asparks>
>>Subject: Re: ORACLE FINANCIALS ?
>>Date: 28 Jul 1995 08:03:01 GMT

>>To answer your questions;
>>Oracle Financials is a suite of fully developed applications including General
>>Ledger, Payables, Receivables and Fixed Assets modules.
>>So it is an end product , to use your terminology.
>>It is developed with Oracle's own products (RDBMS, Forms etc).
>>It is very customiseable.
>>Compared with SAP I think the supply of consultants & developers who can work
>>with and implement Oracle Financials is somewhat better.

>To add to the notion of "very customiseable". Oracle advised us during one of
>their courses that customisation is not recommended. As in later stage when
>newer upgrades are available, it will cause migration problem. As Oracle
>Financial is already a good and well constructed product, I would suggest that
>the company's business process should suit the product rather than the other
>way round. This not only applies to Oracle Financials but also any other
>financial products being offered out there.

I agree that the ideal is that a new Financials site should consider moving toward Oracle Financials and minimize customization. That is the text book approach.... but in the real world, that hardly ever happens. In our experience, almost all sites have to customize to some extent... some sites are highly customized. This can complicate upgrades of course and is very expensive but usually neccessary.

Simon Paul
Maverick Computing
Oracle & Oracle Financials Consultants
phone 305 592 9990 fax: 305 592 9974
simonp_at_ix.netcom.com OR 73302,1014 on compuserve Received on Fri Aug 04 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message