Re: Who should the DBA report to?

From: Martin McGinn <Martin_McGinn_at_fionn.cuug.ab.ca>
Date: 1995/08/04

The DBA role involves dealing with staff at all levels within a company and demands political astutueness as well as technical knowledge. Airing your concerns on a public forum should make you really popular with you current boss. It may also cause other staff to be uncomfortable talking to you as they may see their comments appear in public,

Good start.

In article <mkohutnw-0308952310100001_at_tom.yknet.yk.ca> mkohutnw_at_yknet.yk.ca (Mike Kohut) writes:>From: mkohutnw_at_yknet.yk.ca (Mike Kohut)
>Subject: Who should the DBA report to?
>Date: 4 Aug 1995 05:09:11 GMT

>In my organization, the DBA reports to the head of computer operations.
>Personally, I don't think this is appropriate, because the DBA's
>skill sets and duties are distinct from those of the operations staff.
>I think that a more appropriate management structure would be as follows:

> Manager
> |
> ---------------------------
> | | |
>Operations DBA Analysts
>Manager
> | |
>Operators Programmer/Analysts
> & Programmers

>I would like to hear opinions on this issue from others in this group
>(especially other DBA's)

>Mike Kohut
>soon to become DBA
>NorthwesTel
>Yellowknife, Northwest Territories, Canada

Martin McGinn Fionn Industries Inc.