Who should the DBA report to?

From: Peter Moore <pt_at_chaff.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1995/08/08

That is exactly the set-up that I have, except that, being in a small organization, I report directly to the IT director.

                IT Director

Systems             DBA             Development
Manager              |                Manager
Ops Staff         No Staff          Development Staff

I find it quite a good situation. No reponsibility for other staff - yet I get to 'borrow' Ops people from time-to-time when necesary. I'm also responsible for the implementation of new code so I get to work closely with the Development manager in the planning stages.

HTH Pete