Help needed using Server Manager on VAX VMS... network, etc

From: Nicki Anne Cartt <ncartt_at_magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>
Date: 1995/08/04

After having spent LOTS of time on the phone with Oracle Tech Support, and still getting nowhere (2 techs later), I'm begging anyone out there who is in a similar situation and can help to PLEASE, PLEASE post or email...

  • We have a VAX, open VMS.
  • We have Oracle 7.1 - HOST version only
  • TCP/IP (Multinet)

We are attempting to run the Server Manager via x-windows from my pc.

Now, I've read through tons of docs on the CDs, and still seem to be missing the pieces that would make this puppy work.

  • Main problem. We are running the server manager on the host, and attempting to connect to a db on the host. What should the connect string be?

Oracle tech support said to run the Network manager, configure the network, start up the listener, and the alias name in the TNSNAMES.ORA file would be part of the "Service Name" called for by the Server Manager. She told us to use "TNS:<alias>".

I've tried every permutation under the sun, and still can't get connected... ("TNS:name lookup failed" and a few other errors)

So, ideas anyone? I looked through the VMS specific SQLNET docs, but most of it deals with client/server setups, and we were thinking (perhaps mistakenly) that since we have the host version, we didn't need to jump through the network configuration hoops.

But, still, I've tried to configure the network correctly (using the Network Manager), started up a listener, and what am I missing??

Should there be a HOSTS file in the SQLNETTCP directory? Is there a logical assigned to this? Or is there a magical "service name" that will bypass the need for configuring the network fully??

I'd appreciate ANY advice... A LOT!!

Nicki Received on Fri Aug 04 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message