Re: running two oracle databases

From: Geoff Baker <r26906_at_email.sps.mot.com>
Date: 1995/08/03

In article <3tgsiq$91d_at_tst.hk.super.net>, angusliu_at_hk.super.net (Mr Angus Che Yeung Liu) wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm quite new to oracle. I've got this question: I want to run two
> oracle server instance at the same time, one for production and the other
> for testing. I want to switch between the two database. Besides,
> changing the ORACLE_SID parameter, how can I easily switch to other
> database, let's say testing database, when I'm using the production
> database ??

If your ORACLE_HOME is the same for both databases, your SID is all you must change, unless you are using SQL*Net to access your databases. If using SQL*Net V2, make sure your tnsnames.ora and listener.ora are properly configured to access both SIDs, then access your databases by:

> Another question: I'm used to use SQL*NET V1 which start the oracle
> service by "orasrv", however I recently installed the SQL*NET V2, I've
> found that orasrv has disappeared, instead, I've told that I should start
> tnrlsrv. However, I find that there is no respond, what's wrong ??

The process is lsnrctl. If on Unix, make sure your /etc/services is properly configured.

--
Geoff Baker
MOS-13 CIM Software Engineering