Re: running two oracle databases

From: <mreagan_at_fast.net>
Date: 1995/08/03

In article <r26906-0308950727170001_at_142.1.7.49>, r26906_at_email.sps.mot.com (Geoff Baker) wrote:

> In article <3tgsiq$91d_at_tst.hk.super.net>, angusliu_at_hk.super.net (Mr Angus
> Che Yeung Liu) wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > I'm quite new to oracle. I've got this question: I want to run two
> > oracle server instance at the same time, one for production and the other
> > for testing. I want to switch between the two database. Besides,
> > changing the ORACLE_SID parameter, how can I easily switch to other
> > database, let's say testing database, when I'm using the production
> > database ??
> >
> If your ORACLE_HOME is the same for both databases, your SID is all you
> must change, unless you are using SQL*Net to access your databases. If
> using SQL*Net V2, make sure your tnsnames.ora and listener.ora are
> properly configured to access both SIDs, then access your databases by:

> where service name will be unique for each SID.
>
> > Thanks in advance !
> >
> > Angus(angusliu_at_hk.super.net)
>
> --
> Geoff Baker
> MOS-13 CIM Software Engineering
> Motorola

Angus,

The easier trick to remember is to run the ORAUSER_dbname file in the instance directory of the instance to which you wish to connect. This will set all of the appropriate logicals and symbols, pointing you to the correct images and such. This also handles the potential problem of different code trees (i.e., the development database is a later version of the database).

I even wrote a front end in DCL that allows the user to repoint their instance connection (okay, okay, John Abrams (aka Johnnie Blue Sky) wrote the damn thing, but he and I thought it up and he was working for me at the time...). It simplifies the process and keeps the developers from having to known the drive and directory paths to each of the ORAUSER_* files.

Matt... Received on Thu Aug 03 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message