Re: Multiple Instances

From: Mike Morgan <mike.morgan_at_teldta.com>
Date: 1995/08/03

andreas_at_convex.edvz.uni-linz.ac.at (Andreas Hausleitner) wrote:
>Hi Oraclers!
>
>Does anyone know how it is possible to start more than one instance on
>a machine. Each instance has a database. If I want to start more instances
>all tried to use the same sgadefSID.dbf (Do I have to install Oracle multiple
>times?).
>
>Or is it possible to maintain several databases with one instance?
>
>We are using Oracle 7.0.16.6 on HP9000/735 with HP-UX 9.05.
>
>Thanks for your reply,
>
>Andreas Hausleitner

>Andreas Hausleitner, DI
>University of Linz / Austria
>Computing Center
>Department for Supercomputing FAX : +43 732 2468-688
>Altenberger Str. 69 Tel.: +43 732 2468-203
>A-4040 LINZ email: hausleitner_at_edvz.uni-linz.ac.at

Andreas,

If what you want is multiple databases (same version of Oracle) with a separate instance per database, just make sure you explicitly set your ORACLE_HOME and ORACLE_SID before you try to start each database.

We have many databases per machine in our shop (extreme case -> 24 databases on a medium-sized IBM RS6000). To start them all, we've created a shell script that walks the /etc/oratab file, populates ORACLE_HOME and ORACLE_SID and then issues a sqldba command=startup

Obviously this takes some time for those machines with many databases.

Also, you need to make sure you have set your semaphores and shared memory sufficiently to handle the number of databases you want on each machine.

I hope this answers your question.
Mike

Mike Morgan
Technology Integration Services - Unix DBA

email: Mike.Morgan_at_teldta.com

TDS Computing Services
301 S. Westfield Road
Madison, WI 53705 USA
(608)845-4661

"The DBA is always right ... even when [s]he's wrong."