Re: ORACLE on Solaris / Alpha: Your Experience requested

From: <mreagan_at_fast.net>
Date: 1995/08/02

In article <3vc8m0$2mq_at_pipe1.nyc.pipeline.com>, qmick_at_nyc.pipeline.com (Michael Joseph) wrote:

> We are currently investigating a new box to run our ORACLE query only
> database on to replace the NetFRAME Pentium 66 under Netware we are
> currently using.
>
> If you have had any exposure or dealings with either the Sun Sparc or Dec
> Alpha platforms as an ORACLE 7.x server box we would love to hear your
> impressions on the following topics:

Mike, my experience is with DEC Alpha 2100 machines equipped with a single processor, 192 meg of memory, and running an 8 gig database.

> 1) Stability

Minor OS level problems. Never a show stopper. Oracle 7.0.16.6.0 has some problems but they will be fixed in the next release (if you believe THAT, I have some bottom land off the Florida keys I wanna talk to you about...).

> 2) Performance

Screams like you wouldn't believe. When we first ported to it (from a Vax 4600) and began testing our reporting code, we thought it was blowing up. The reports were completing within five seconds of starting up. They used to take up to 30 seconds. The output files were there. We just couldn't believe our eyes.

I wonder what will happen when we add the second processor for ~ $7k...

> 3) Service and support

No major complaints. The HSD30 is our primary controller and it works find. The HSD05s work fine. Support is reasonable (i.e., they easily meet their response time requirements). They get us up and running quickly with a minimum of fuss.

> 4) Value for money

Considering that for the lease payements on or 4100 and 4600, we leased TWO Alpha 2100s with 16 gig of disk (not to mention a full magnitude shift in performance: 10X the power), I think the bang for the buck can't be beat.

DISCLAIMER: Alas, I have no experience with a Sun Sparc, so I guess someone who uses a Sun Sparc can make similar claims. We only have two Sparcs: One is our Internet gateway, and the other is used for SAS work. We would not even consider using them for Oracle Server functions.

I'm not sure of the exact price, but a 2100 starts around ~$25k.