Re: How to start ARCHIVELOG ?

From: Geoff Baker <r26906_at_email.sps.mot.com>
Date: 1995/08/02

In article <DCF69t.1v4_at_mecati.mecasoft.ch>, unter_at_mecati.mecasoft.ch (Stefano UNTERNAEHRER) wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I have a database created with NOARCHIVELOG option.
> Now, I would like to start ARCHIVELOG. What I have to do exactly?
> Here is what I've tryied:
>
> Parameters in initxxx.ora:
>
> log_archive_start = true
> log_archive_dest = /users/oracle7/dbs/test7/arch/arch.log
> log_archive_format = 'log%s_%t.arc'
> log_archive_buffer_size = 32
> log_archive_buffers = 4
>

> As sqldba:
>
> sqldba> alter database close;
> sqldba> alter database dismount;
> sqldba> alter database mount exclusive;
>
> sqldba> alter database archivelog;
>
> sqldba> shutdown
> sqldba> startup open test7
>
> sqldba> show parameters arch
> NAME TYPE VALUE
> -------------------------- ------- ------------------------------
> log_archive_buffer_size integer 32
> log_archive_buffers integer 4
> log_archive_dest string /users/oracle7/dbs/test7/arch/arch.log
> log_archive_format string 'log%s_%t.arc'
> log_archive_start boolean TRUE
>

> The /users/oracle7/dbs/test7/arch directory is still void... why ??
> Stefano

> ____________________________
> ______________________| Stefano Unternaehrer |__________________________
> \ Mecasoft SA | Oracle DBA | fax: +41 93 335 507 /
> \ 6600 Muralto | and PL/SQL, Pro*C | voice: +41 93 337 444 /
> \ | C, XWindow & Motif | /
> / | Software Developer | email: \
> / Switzerland Europe |____________________________| dba,unter_at_mecasoft.ch \

The log_archive_dest is a filename appended with log_archive_format. I'm not sure what will happen with the single quotes around the log_archive_format, but my unix installation guide does not include them. I have successfully started archive without the single quotes. Also, check the date of your redo log files, you may still be writing to the first file since you started archiving. To force a LGWR to write to the next group of log files:
SQLDBA> ALTER SYSTEM switch logfile;
After removing the single quotes and switching log files, you should see your files.

--
Geoff Baker
MOS-13 CIM Software Engineering