SQLLOADER

From: CADRE Acct <cadre_at_neuraltech.com>
Date: 1995/07/30

I am using 7.1.4 on HP UNIX.
SQL*loader with dirct path, indexes on, with sorted indexes parameter, presorted data, among others.

I created a tablespace for the index , size 100m;initial 70m;next 30m; When I load the data for the first tiem, everything is OK. When I try to load even a 1m data next time, the load is succesful but the index is kep in direct load state with the error
ORA
The following index(es) on table TEST_01 were processed: Index TEST01_IN_CDHOLDERACC was left in Direct Load State due to ORA-01652: unable to extend temp segment by 5120 in tablespace TEST_01

After trial and error , I figured out that the loader is trying to create a temporary segment of size of the initial segment.(rather than the next segment). I tried to alter the tablespace /index storage parameters, but the same problem persists.
Is it a bug or feature?
When Oracle support was asked about it, they reply that "I require free space equal to double the index in the INDEX TABLESPACE ITSELF." Loader , in this case does not use my 1GB TEMP tablespace.

To solve the above, I dropped my index and altered my index tablespace with initial 10m, next 10m. Same parameters for the actual index also. Now, everything is going smoothly. No hanging index at the end of the Load. BUT, when I looked into the db_extents, I found that, a temporary segment of 10m is created every time I load the data. The creation of temporary segment is fine but the problem is that they are staying back. I made attempts with checkpoint forcing and forcing redologs. But , no success. When I repeated the load for 9 times, again the loader could not find temp segment space and the index is left in DIRECT load state.(ORA1652). Anybody can suggest a way to get rid of the the TEMPORARY segments created in the index tablespace. I hope that this will solve my original problem. The entry in the dba_segments appears as:

OWNER

SEGMENT_NAME
SEGMENT_TYPE      TABLESPACE_NAME                 EXTENT_ID    FILE_ID
----------------- ------------------------------ ---------- ----------
  BLOCK_ID      BYTES     BLOCKS

CADRE
19.30722
TEMPORARY         TEST_01NDX                              0         19
     30722   10485760       5120

Thanks in advance.
Sorry for the lengthy posting.
--Mohammed Ghouse Received on Sun Jul 30 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message