Re: Raw device type for data files

From: Glenn Cadman <cadman_at_ozemail.com.au>
Date: 1995/07/29

Bob Johnson (bobj_at_magna.com.au) wrote:
: In article <DBKzKy.1xE_at_iquest.net>, pws_at_iquest.net says...
: >
: >Does anyone have any comments regarding running Oracle under UNIX
: >(specifically HP UX) on raw devices rather than file systems? My
 concerns
: >are performance vs. flexibility in backups and restores for multiple
: >instances. Any experiences you could pass along would be appreciated.
: >Thanks,
: >
: >Paul

: G'day Paul

: Raw devices are good, they allow faster retrieval and use of more of the
: device. The unix file system is designed for general purpose access of
: a general purpose file system. Oracle doesn't need it and works better
: without it along as you want to use all the device for Oracle data files
: and don't want to access the device with anything other than Oracle.

: Give me an email at work on bxj_at_ausns1.cv.com if you want more details
: or help.

: Bob Johnson
: Computervision
: Sydney