Re: strange sql*loader problem

From: pete <pete_at_pskl.win-uk.net>
Date: 1995/07/29

>Hi,
> I have an unusual problem while using sql*loader
>in direct mode. Prior to loading, I truncate
>the table. Select count(*) from the table yields 0.
>I invoke sql*loader and the log file shows the correct
>number of rows being loaded. However, select count(*)
>yields more rows than were actually loaded. I am
>unable to consistently duplicate this error. Oracle
>support is of no help. Has anyone else come across
>this problem before?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Steve

Do you have the character positions of the columns defined rather than seperating columns with commas?

I had a similar problem with this. I has a file where I didn't want the last couple of columns. In the control file I only specified where the columns were that I wanted. SQL*Loader deduced the length of the record from the control file but the record in the data file was longer that this (because of the superfluous columns). Everytime it encountered a record that was longer than that defined in the control file it inserted two records with the data in them messed up. I added an extra 'dummy' column to the table I was loading into which was large enough to hold all the characters at the end of the record after the data I was interested in.

Pete Kolton
ORACLE Systems Consultant
Beverley, England.
All reasonable offers considered. Received on Sat Jul 29 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message