ORACLE<-Foxpro

From: <ksilverstein_at_crs.stjude.org>
Date: 1995/07/26

I would very much like join information residing on a Personal Oracle 7 database and a Foxpro database. I'ld like to do this from the ORACLE side, I know I can see ORACLE from Foxpro but our main database environment is ORACLE. With Open Client Adapter for ODBC 1.0.9.1.1 and ODBC 1.11.0.2 I can connect to the Foxpro database from SQLPLUS 3.1.3.5.4 using the connect string ODBC:[foxpro_datasource]. Is it possible to create a database link in PO7 to the Foxpro database. I've tried to create a link using the same connect string but PO7 seems to think it needs to go through SQL*NET ( I get this error: ERROR: ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name) I tried to create an entry TNSNAMES.ORA like:

FOXPRO1=(description =

            (address =

(protocol = ODBC))
(connect_data = (BIOS_DAT))

but not surprisingly that didn't work (ODBC doesn't seem to be the same logical communications layer as TCP or SPX)

Is this possible or does any one know if ORACLE has plans to make this kind of thing possible.

TIA Received on Wed Jul 26 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message