Authentication Methods in SQL*NET (V2)

From: Jon Finke <finkej_at_ts.its.rpi.edu>
Date: 1995/07/21

What sort of authentication options are there using SQL*NET? (SQL*NET version 1 didn't seem to have too many, so I guess I am more interested in SQL*NET version 2).

My concern comes from an environment where the ethernet carrying the TCP/IP traffic is likely to have a sniffer on it, so passing the ID and password in the clear (as V1 appears to do), is not a good thing.

Is there any way to have it use Kerberos for authentication? Or a smart card or other one time key authentication?

Can the data transfer be encrypted?

Any information would be appreciated.

--
Jon Finke                           finkej_at_rpi.edu
Senior Network Systems Engineer     http://www.rpi.edu/~finkej