Re: SYBASE acquired PowerSoft AND SDP, was Re: PowerBuilder acquires S-designer?

From: Keith B. McKendry <Keith_McKendry_at_csg.mot.com>
Date: 1995/07/21

fcasas_at_ix.netcom.com (Francisco Casas) writes:
>I have a small addition. The combination of PowerBuilder and
>S-Designer also includes a free version of Watcom SQL. By contrast
>Oracle requires you to purchase Personal Oracle for MS-Windows. So
>the total RAM requirements of a CASE tool, development tool and a

>local database for Sybase and Oracle are:

>PowerBuilder/S-Designer/WatcomSQL: 8MB of RAM

>Developer/2000: 16MB
>Designer/2000: 16MB
>Personal Oracle: 8MB

>GRAND TOTAL: 40MB

>Let's see:
> 40MB - 8MB = 32MB _at_ $45/MB = $1,440.00
> plus the cost difference between a 386/33 and a 486/33. Realize
> that most companies still have a lot of 386 machines.
>Finally: Oracle, please compete on the merits of your products and
> not by lying about your competitors.

I think that someone isn confused here. Perhaps it's me, after all I am only a consultant that uses Oracle, Powersoft, ObjectView, and a few others. (I use what the client wants.) I cannot say about Designer/2000 as I don;t have it, but:

        My set-up is a 486/66 with 24 Meg Ram. When I had 8MB, I could not develop in Powersoft and have *anything* else open. At that performance was slooowwww. I did upgrage before buying Oracle (16MB _at_ $580 or $36.25/MB) in order to get better performance with Powersoft (PowerMaker). I can be developing in D/2000, with Personal Oracle running and still use Lotus Notes.

Using both tools, I can't understand a straight comparison as above. Developer/2000 and Powersoft are not comparable in features and functions. Nor is WatcomSQL and Oracle7 (Personal Oracle). I can't take a WatcomSQL app and move it to a 200+ user network without *major* changes. I can't take a Powersoft app developed for WatcomSQL and move it to a 200+ user network using a large-scale RDBMS without *major* changes and tuning work to the point that only the initial design would be of help. I *can* take a D/2000 app developed against Personal Oracle and place it on a large network with no changes (except to login into a different database).

I did read the other posts in this thread and do agree that both sides should settle down. Yes, many company have multiple database. The market share break out is 35.x% Oracle, 18.x% Sybase, 17.x% Informix--last year Oracle and Sybase were pretty much the same as now and Informix was at 14.x%. I think Oracle should keep doing business as they are. Informix seems to be doing pretty well (I think New Era needs Native Drivers to non-Informix databases, though). Sybase needs to actually release System 11 and integrate Powersoft and SDP more closely to some RDBMS, as well as add more high-end and code generation abilities to S-Designer. IMHO

--
McKendry's Uncertainty Principle:
At any given moment, one cannot be certain that any opinion is mine--much

Keith McKendry   |  73071.3233_at_compuserve.com
SSC,  Inc.       |