Re: Procedure Builder

From: Steven P. Muench <smuench_at_oracle.com>
Date: 1995/07/18

%> I'm currently evaluating it (and other development tools). It
%> appears that the PL/SQL Interpreter will permit debugging of
%> stored procedures. However, I don't know how to get started. I
%> cannot see how to select a stored procedure to debug ( I've tried
%> all of the menu items without success). I assume that once I
%> can get a procedure into PL/SQL Interpreter, I will be able to
%> set breakpoints, view variable contents etc. Can anyone briefly
%> explain how to use this tool?

Procedure Builder 1.0 gives full capabilities for client-side or server-side PL/SQL development. It's debugging capabilities are offered for the client-side only in this first release. But, since it has drag and drop application partitioning capability, to debug your stored procedure, you typically can just (temporarily) drag it to the client and drop it there, run it/debug it on the client, then drag and drop the corrected code back to the server.

If I do not err, version 2.0 of Procedure Builder will support full debugging capability for program units *IN* the server, as well as on the client.

Hope this helps.

  Steve Muench              Email: smuench_at_us.oracle.com
  Sr. Product Manager
  Tools Development
  Oracle Corporation