Re: pl/sql

From: Ole Reiersen <Ole_at_hak.hydro.com>
Date: 1995/07/18

In article <313230676wnr_at_mssint.demon.co.uk>, TIMJ_at_mssint.demon.co.uk says...

>In article: <3ti9vl$i1c_at_sun.sirius.com> alkammy_at_sirius.com (Alan Elliott) writes:
>>
>> In article <3tdpu7$hfn_at_kssun.klst.com>, michael_at_klst.com (Michael Sundermann) says:
>> >i want to call a c-programm from a pl/sql program in Oracle 7.0.
>> >is this possible ?
>>
>> Sure it is, just use the HOST packaged procedure.
>>

>The Host package procedure is a Forms function, not a PL/SQL function.
>The difference being that you can not use it in a pre-compile PL/SQL
>database object. Personally, I don't think that there is a way of
>calling a 3GL program from pre-compiled PL/SL database objects, but I
>would live some-one to tell me that I've missed something obvious.
>Tim Jinkerson
>Migrations Consultant
>MSS International (Egham)

Well, here is one way of doing it:
1. Create a message queue.
2. Create a 3GL program on the server using embedded SQL to connect to the RDBMS and listen to this message queue.

   This program can execute any command in the messages it receives.

Now: Any PL/SQL routine (from Forms, Sql*Plus, stored proceure, or trigger) can execute a host command by sending a message to this message queue.

Name: Ole Reiersen
Adress: Hydro Aluminium Karmøy
         4265 Håvik
         Norway
Phone:   +47 52 85 49 23
Fax:     +47 52 85

E-mail: Ole.Reiersen_at_hak.hydro.com Received on Tue Jul 18 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message