Re: ASCII ex-import

From: Ejkk <ejkk_at_aol.com>
Date: 1995/07/12

To get around the tedium of counting columns and writing sqlloader instructions we've written Unix scripts to parse a describe table output and then construct sqlplus statements and corresponding sqlloader instructions to parse the output of the sqlplus report and ready it for subsequent load to the same database or elsewhere.

If you've got the room in your Oracle table spaces then Create Table1x as Select * from table1
is a very fast way to move the data elsewhere and to other instances and machines if you've got SQL*Net and DBlinks in place.

But I completely agree that Oracle should provide a higher level of abstraction and more options on export and import. I just got conformation the other day from Oracle support that there is absolutely no way to chance the export order while using the exp utility.

-ed Received on Wed Jul 12 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message