Re: Space problem when running two db at the same time (question)

From: Leng Kaing <leng_at_cougar.vut.edu.au>
Date: 1995/07/12

wei he (martletts) (etlwihe_at_etlxdmx.ericsson.se) wrote:
: Hi

: I tried to run two databases at the same time but got a problem. Hope someone
: can give me a help.

: Basically, when I start up another instance without shut down the one running, I
: got a error message as follow:

: CAUTION

: ORA-07279: spcre: semget error, unable
: to get first semaphore set.
: SunOS Error: 28: No space left on device
: Additional information: 2

: Orcale support said this is a problem with space on the platform. In fact
: the hard disk which conatins all the files (data file, control file etc)
: for the two database still has a lot of space (more than 500 M). I don't
: understand which space that the error message was talking about.

Perhaps look at PROCESSES in your init.ora. Each process requires one semaphore (I think) for locking purposes. If there are not enough semaphores for you, then you can't start up database. Simply reduce PROCESSES to a lower number until you get the combination right.

HTH,
Leng.

--
Leng Kaing