Re: How to interface WWW Unix server with Novell oracle server

From: <rhodge_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1995/07/07

3th63i$ap3_at_inet-nntp-gw-1.us.oracle.com>, jhaverty_at_us.oracle.com (Jack Haverty) writes:
>> hawk_at_xs4all.nl wrote:
>>
>> >Hello,

>> >We have the following a Silicon Graphics machine as Web Server,
>> >a Oracle Server on Novell. So we need to interface the Web pages with
>> >info on the Oracle server.

 [question deleted]

>> >Greetings,
>> >Jan Willem
>>

>> Jan - look under "Free Trial Software" on the Oracle home page at
>> http://www.oracle.com for the Oracle World Wide Web Interface Kit.

 [ WOW info deleted ]
>> Jack Haverty, Internet Products Group, Oracle Corporation -- jhaverty_at_us.oracle.com
>>

>Another good solution is to use Perl in combination with a database driver
>like DBI. Perl does a MUCH better job of dealing with flat files and text. The
>other big advantage is that you aren't restricted to using a single RDBMS. I also
>like not having to buy SQL*Net (or anything else for that matter, it's all free)....

Just a couple points to clarify. Perl is a much more robust language for handling flat files, but if you want your structured data in a database, or you already have all of your info in a Oracle7, then WOW in conjunction with PL/SQL is a better fit. Your developers will already understand PL/SQL, and you will enjoy the advantage of being able to create dynamic HTML right in the stored procedures and delivering completed pages back to your web server.

Also, with either the WOW or Perl/DBI solutions you will need OCI and SQL*Net to reach the remote Oracle7 database.

Finally, if you're searching for something in the middle, check out the ORAYWWW gateway written Perl. ORAYWWW is part of the Oracle WWW Interface Kit. You can learn more about it by going to the WWW Int Kit info under Free Trial Software on http://www.oracle.com.

Hope this helps.

Randy Hodge
Internet Products Group
Oracle Corp. Received on Fri Jul 07 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message