Re: Upgrade problems Pro*C 1.6 --> 2.0 ??

From: Paul Gowers <paul_at_tdbsoft.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1995/07/05

juwettj_at_ce.philips.nl (Juwett Jeroen) wrote:
>We are currently installing Oracle 7.1.4 on Solaris 2.3 and are a little bit in
>the dark about choosing to install Pro*C 1.6 or Pro*C 2.0
>Does anyone know about any problems with existing Pro*C code when upgrading
>to 2.0 (we know that some precompile options are obsolete with 2.0, but we
>don't know the impact of leaving those options off).
>How about it ?

This rather depends on what deadlines you have for getting all your ProC code rebuilt, and also on the contents of your code.

Oracle 7.1.4 ships with both ProC 1.6 and 2.0 so you have a choice (beware that 2.0 is the default, so when you run 'proc' you get V2, and you should run 'proc16' to get v1.6).

If you just want to get the code rebuilt and working as quickly as possible, use 1.6. Your code should recompile without problems, although the link has changed so you will have to refer to the example makefile proc16.mk in $ORACLE_HOME/proc16/lib. You should bear in mind that at some point in the future, ProC V1 will be made obsolete, and you will have to move to ProC V2, so you will only be deferring the work.

If you have a little more time, and perhaps want to make some enhancements to your ProC, then try V2. But beware, it is a different beast from V1. The biggest difference is that it understands 'C' preprocessor directives, so if you have used the old 'ProC Kludge' to allocate host variables on the heap, then you will have to change it. There are a number of goodies in V2 which would help with new code development (using structure members as host variables is one). For a full list of differences, check out your install guide. The thing to do is try precompiling with V2, and see what it gives you. It's probably worth getting a list of outstanding bugs (from Oracle) so you know when to ignore unexpected behaviour.

I have been involved with two upgrades to 7.1.4. One took the first approach because of time constraints, and the other took the second approach because it was a developent shop and they had more time.

Hope this helps
Paul Gowers Received on Wed Jul 05 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message