Re: Oracle blobs good or bad?

From: Roger Mathisen <ROGER_at_benoni.nbr.no>
Date: 1995/06/30

In article <173CB11F70S86.AADLKIRC_at_bcsc02.gov.bc.ca> AADLKIRC_at_bcsc02.gov.bc.ca writes:
>Subject: Oracle blobs good or bad?
>From: AADLKIRC_at_bcsc02.gov.bc.ca
>Date: Wed, 28 Jun 95 20:25:55 PDT

>We have a requirement to store appoximately 3,000,000 12K JPEG images for
>online retrieval over a wide area network. I am wondering if anyone has
>experience using Oracle for image storage and retrieval. Apart from the
>obvious network bandwidth considerations a number of people I have
>talked with feel it's a bad idea but are fuzzy about the reasons why.
>
>I would greatly appreciate any experience or insights.
>

>* * * All opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily
>* * * represent those of my employer.
>* * *
>Arnold Adlkirchner/aadlkirc_at_bcsc02.gov.bc.ca

We´ve been using Oracle 7 to store JPEG and GIF images for more than a year now. We have currently approx. 120 000 images in the database, the DB seems to handle this amount just fine. To store 3000 000 images you probably would benefit from using a RAID array. Furthermore it seems like there is a 10 - 15 % size - overhead in storing the images in Oracle 7.

Hope this helps.

Roger Mathisen
The National library, Norway Received on Fri Jun 30 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message