Re: 32-bit ODBC driver from Oracle

From: Jens Roynlid <jensr_at_hrp.no>
Date: 1995/06/29

In article <3ss533$kmi_at_news1.best.com> markw_at_best.com (Mark Williams) writes:

>>When will we get an 32-bit ODBC driver for Windows/NT or Win95 from
 Oracle?
>>Is Oracle working on such a driver?

>We have been looking at exactly the same question. Oracle told us (via
>Compuserve) that they have no plans to develop a 32 bit ODBC driver. I
>might be missing something here but that seems a striking decision.

I too have been told by an Oracle representative that Oracle will not develop a 32-bit ODBC driver. The reason for this was supposedly that it was slow compared to their own proprietary Oracle Objects. It seems to me that the real reason is that Oracle doesn't want users to be able to switch between different databases, hence the focus on Oracle Objects, which only work with Oracle DBs. Compare this to the Microsoft strategy, which favors ODBC to DB-Library, and where the ODBC driver for SQL 6.0 performs at least as good as DB-Lib.

I hope that some third-party vendors (or Microsoft) will develop a fast 32-bit Oracle ODBC-driver - I'm getting tired of Oracle's proprietary strategy.

  • Jens R., OECD Halden Reactor Project