Re: post-change and on-validate-field trigger

From: <james.lawrence_at_EPAMAIL.EPA.GOV>
Date: 1995/06/20

In article <DABtEA.HtB_at_eskimo.com> kimmng_at_eskimo.com (Kim Ng) writes:
>From: kimmng_at_eskimo.com (Kim Ng)
>Subject: Re: post-change and on-validate-field trigger
>Date: Sat, 17 Jun 1995 16:49:21 GMT

>: My understanding of this (I heard this from one of our senior developers) was
>: that the POST-CHANGE trigger was a hold-over from SQL*Forms 2.3 (not sure if
>: this is actually true or not). I use ON-VALIDATE-FIELD for field validation,

>You're absolutely right, if the documentation is correct (SQLFORMS 3.0 doc).
>Look at the chapter that describes the POST-CHANGE trigger. It says it is
>there for compatibility reason and ORACLE does not guarantee that it will
>be supported in the future versions of SQLFORMS.

>Also, as Steve (another posting) has mentioned, "key-prvfld" does not fire
>the "on-validate-field"! I suspect it was that way either because it was an
>oversight or to allow users to go to the previous field to fix the problem
>if the value of current field depends on the previous field.

>Have fun,
>Kim Ng

Post-change and When-validate fire differently. Post change fires only for non null entries. If you change a column to null the post-change will not fire but the when-validate will. Also post-change will fire as the column is populated from a query (only non null ones) and when validate will not fire at all during a query.

Post change was used extensively to translate codes into meaningfull values on the form. So it is useful to have it fire as part of the query. It was a pain that it did not fire for nulls and I suspect that it why when-validate was added.

Now if they'd just alllowed restricted stuff in the when-validate..... sigh.

Lawrence..... Received on Tue Jun 20 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message